What is “Aging in Place”?
You may have started hearing the term “aging in place” thrown around by designers and builders when it comes to senior living design. But just what does this term mean? And how can you incorporate the idea into your own home design?
Preparing for the Future
Aging in place is very much how it sounds: it’s preparing a home with features that help the homeowners to age comfortably in their own home rather than relocating to a nursing home. The idea has been catching on quickly; the walk-in shower is the trendiest new bathroom feature among younger homeowners while also being a smart investment for those who plan to live in their homes for decades to come, especially if they require walk in mobility baths in later life.
How Can I Age in Place?
There are lots of great ways to alter your home to successfully age in place. Alterations range from small details–like changing out cabinet knobs for arthritis-friendly pulls–to big remodels–like switching out a bathtub with a more accessible walk-in shower. The amount of alterations that you decide to make are ultimately up to you, your tastes, and your budget. Here are a few ideas for changes you can make in your home that will help to facilitate aging in place:
- Install grab bars and a shower seat in the shower to help prevent falls.
- Install an adjustable shower head in the shower, which makes showering easier and more comfortable.
- Replace a bathtub with a notch-cut tub or a walk-in shower, both of which are easier to access.
- Renovate your kitchen cabinets so that there is space underneath the sink for a wheelchair-bound individual to comfortably use the sink.
- You can do the same with your kitchen island by installing a lower table at chair level with room for wheelchair-bound individuals (and chairs for family and friends!)
- Switch out hard-to-grasp knobs with “D-shaped” pulls on your kitchen cabinets.
- Update appliances with energy-saving models that utilize large displays.
Features for Aging in Place from Native Sons, Inc.
Are you ready to create your dream kitchen? How about a luxurious bathroom getaway? Native Sons, Inc. has over 30 years of experience working on thousands of home remodeling projects. With our expert knowledge, attention to detail, and personal customer experience, we hope to be the right remodeling contractors for your project. We are a fully licensed, full service remodeling company catering to the needs of Maryland homeowners. Contact us by calling (410) 788-5179 or by visiting our Contact Page. Want to see more? Follow us on Facebook for more blog and project updates!